[ag-automation] Patch for Linux kernel 3.2.0-rc6

Carsten Emde C.Emde at osadl.org
Thu Feb 2 20:00:36 CET 2012

Jens Aksel,

> I am working on a system based on the AM3517 Cortex A8 processor from
> TI (OMAP3). My Linux kernel version is 3.2.0-rc6 and I consider to
> apply the RT patch "patches-3.2.0-rc6-rt9".
You may even use Linux 3.2.2 and patch it witch rt10
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/3.2/patches-3.2-rt10.tar.bz2).
There are just a few offsets to ignore. Several QA farm systems run this
kernel without any problem so far. You may at any time click on the
"Kernel version" title line in the Kernels overview
(https://www.osadl.org/?id=1001) and scroll to the bottom of the table
where you find the most recent kernel release under test.

> The latest stable RT patch is however only for linux-2.6.33.7
> according to
> https://www.osadl.org/Realtime-Linux.projects-realtime-linux.0.html.
Yes, indeed. We made the (probably naive) promise to not label a kernel
version "Latest Stable", unless there are no known bugs or regressions.
Unfortunately, 3.x still has a nasty ACPI problem, some notebooks do not
enable backlight, many boards require a drm patch to work if no LVDS
connected, and sockets have longer latencies than in 2.6.33. Several
issues are already fixed and patches simply need to be sent upstream,
some issues are known to be solved but actually need to be coded, and
some other issues are not yet known how to be solved. Fixed but not yet
mainlined patches are available in the profiles of our QA farm systems;
there is a section "Off-tree patches" that contains quilt series we used
to build a particular kernel.

> Could you please explain "how stable" patch patches-3.2-rc6-rt9 is?
Very stable.

> Is this patch considered safe/ready for a production systems?
If you test your system thoroughly and everything works fine, you may
even use it in a production system. It is, as always, your decision.
However, OSADL makes special guarantees of a "Latest Stable" kernel for
its members (such as long-term data collection, support for
certification, backports etc.) which is not yet available for a 3.x kernel.

> When will a stable patch be released for 3.2.0?
The day when there are no more known bugs or regressions.

Hope this helps,
Carsten.