[ag-automation] RBF filesystem

Carsten Emde C.Emde at osadl.org
Sun Oct 19 23:35:54 CEST 2008

Steven,

> I have just built and installed the RBF filesystem module.  The system is
> running Ubuntu 8.04 in 32-bit mode and the kernel version is 2.6.24.  The
> build went fine and the module loads without complaint.
Good.

> I am not having much success in trying to mount images of Tandy CoCo 6809
> OS-9 diskettes, however.  I tried:
>
> $ mount -t rbf -o loop,sector=256,verbose /tmp/disk.dsk /mnt
>
> It comes back with this on the console:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
>         missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>         In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>         dmesg | tail  or so
>
> and in the kernel log:
>
> Oct 19 14:25:52 u32 kernel: [368834.785845] No RBF filesystem on loop0 \
>     (magic=00000000)
>
> Yet, this image is valid.  If I dd it to a diskette I can read it on the
> target hardware.  Also, third party tools such as 'toolshed' handle it
> perfectly (read directory, copy files in and out, etc.)
>
> Do you have any advice?
Your OS-9/6809 file system probably does not contain the OS-9 magic
0x4372757a ("Cruz") in the boot sector. Please try the "nomagic" mount
option and see whether it does its magic.

Someone recently reported that the dd command on his system did a byte
swap. In his case, specifying the "conv=swab" option in the dd command
line solved the problem and created a valid OS-9 image.

If all this fails, please do a "od -tx1 /tmp/disk.dsk | more" and send
the output of the first two or three pages. This normally helps to find
out what is going wrong.

	Carsten.