[ag-automation] PBMaster - Profibus DP

Tran Duy Khanh trandk1 at fel.cvut.cz
Mon Nov 26 20:33:37 CET 2007

Hi everybody,

    I am working on a free implementation of Profibus DP for Linux/Unix systems.
    The solution does not require any special proprietary hardware. The hardware
    is based on cooperation between a personal computer and a family of
    convertors from RS-232 to RS-485 (the standard used by Profibus DP).

    I have heard about the OSADL project at the Real-Time Linux Workshop in
    Linz at the beginning of this month. The project I am working on calls
    PBMaster. The first and by now the last release was in the october last
    year. I was quite busy working on another projects, but now, I am
    continuing developing PBMaster.

    My main objectives are:

	Rewrite some parts of the drivers to make it more portable.
	Tracking bugs and testing on more extensive bus.
	Implementation of the application layer (libraries).
	Porting to RTLinux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and may be Windows 2000/NT/XP.
	Graphical analyzer of Profibus DP (QT and ncurses).
	Support for new hardware.
	Porting to OS-less system (ARM, ...).
	Complete the documentation.
	Emulator of slave stations.

    I am finding a way, how the application layer should look like. In fact,
    I do not have many experience with the application layer of Profibus DP. I
    am working mainly with the Link Layer (FDL). It is a reason why I am
    writing to this mailing list to look for any recommendation, advice or
    suggestion, how the application should looks like. Does the OSADL project
    has any framework, which is recommendable to use it with the PBMaster? Any
    other suggestion are welcomed.

    Please visit the web page for more information:

	http://www.pbmaster.eu

Thanks in advance,
Best regards

Tran Duy Khanh