[ag-automation] OSADL I/O Framework demonstrator

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Thu Mar 1 12:12:13 CET 2007

Dear Michael,

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:56:53AM +0100, Michael.Kremer at homag.de wrote:
> please find in the attached pdf document Homag's suggestion for a
> principle layout of the OSADL I/O Framework demonstrator.

Great to see some activity! Could you please add the openoffice sources
for this document to the OSADL svn?

https://www.osadl.org/svn/osadl/software/fieldbus-framework/documentation

could be the right place.

> The software for the I/O framework should run on a conventional PC
> with no special/extra hardware (like e.g. vendor specific PCI cards
> for fieldbus integration).

So if I understand you correctly, profinet and ethercat masters work
with a standard network card and don't require a specialized hardware?

Nevertheless, I vote for using an industrial PC with standard PCI slots
which can be easily mounted to a demonstrator backplane; we will most
probably add more components like CAN cards, netX PCI boards etc to the
system, so some free slots may be a good thing.

I assume Eltec and Kontron are the OSADL members who build the right
kind of devices, for example these ones:

http://www.eltec.de/de/products/viewpro.php?proid=90&keywords_id=90&group=6&ln=de
http://de.kontron.com/index.php?id=82&cat=71

Or maybe there is another idea ... Would you hardware vendors sponsor
some machines for the OSADL demonstrator?

> We so far think of the following scenarios:
>
> Scenario 1:
>  - CNC controls Profinet IRT drives (e.g. from Siemens)
>  - PLC controls Profinet I/O and EtherCAT I/O
>  - PLC traces axis positions of drives

Ok

> Scenario 2:
>  - CNC controls Profinet IRT drives from Siemens and Bosch-Rexroth
>  - CNC controls EtherCAT drives (e.g. from Beckhoff)
>
> Scenario 2+:
>  - CNC controls CAN drives (using Gateway RT/CAN)
>  - PLC controls CAN drives and CAN I/O (using Gateway RT/CAN)

I'd also like to see a CANOpen I/O system directly connected to a local
CAN card, plus a local CAN bus which can also be connected to some
Phytec phyCORE-MPC5200B-tiny module, running Linux+RT plus CoDeSys.

We can maybe make the layout in a way that we have this RT/CAN gateway
and alternatively the tiny module as a gateway from conventional
ethernet to the local CAN bus.

> Scenario 3:
>  - CNC controls Profinet IRT drives
>  - PLC controls Profinet IRT drives
>  - Drives (axes) can be exchanged online between CNC and PLC
>
> With no vendor specific hardware inside the PC, controlling Profinet IRT
> drives would result in using a RT/IRT Gateway. If this is not available in
> the near future, we can also use Profinet RT drives (with lesser accuracy,
> but adequate for a demonstrator).

For our EPL activities, I'd like to see another ethernet interface which
could be used to control a Powerlink line.

For practical reasons, I'd suggest that we build the components of the
demonstrator on separate "brettles" ;) with a size of

A) 55 cm x 35 cm, max. height of components 25 cm
B) 75 cm x 55 cm, max. height of components 40 cm

which can be connected to a larger unit with standard frame joints.

This is the size that optimally fits into standard Schaefer transport
boxes which have turned out to be ideal for trade shows, because you can
handle them with a small crew or even bundle them into euro-pallets:

http://www.schaefer-shop.de/produktansicht.php?url=a2533373d307277647b65746f627074666c6e6f5d657e6625363932313030313d347b65746f627074666c6e6f5d657e6627383031343036313d34696

Each brettle could have a standard connector field, so we could combine
the whole thing in a modular way and can extend it towards more modules
later on.

Robert
--
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9