[ag-automation] hard rt ????

Carsten Emde Carsten.Emde at osadl.org
Sun Jun 17 11:34:14 CEST 2007

David,

> I have built the vanilla linux kernel 2.6.19 with the realtime patch (rt15)
> and was curious if it is now considered hard realtime?
We really do not differentiate between hard and soft realtime. Realtime
compliance is like pregnancy - yes or not. There is no such thing as a
bit pregnant nor is there a bit realtime. "Soft realtime" is important
in the domain of marketing not engineering.

Yes, a vanilla Linux kernel patched with the realtime-preempt patch is
considered "to have the potential to provide realtime performance".
However, your system is not necessarily a realtime system. Your BIOS may
have installed System Management Interrupts that will paralyze your
system from time to time, some drivers may busy wait or some other
mechanisms may counteract with the realtime-preempt patches.

This is why the realtime-preempt patches provide a large number of test
tools. As an initial test, we would propose that you run cyclictest, e.g.

# cyclictest -t 3 -n -p 99

More details are given here:
http://www.osadl.org/Realtime-Preempt-Kernel.kernel-rt.0.html

Regards,