[ag-automation] OSADL: I/O framework based on RTDM, EtherCAT over RTnet

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Tue Jan 2 13:25:44 CET 2007

Hello,

first I wish you all a happy and successful New Year.

I want to mention, that an I/O framework based on RTDM, the Real-Time
Driver Model [1], currently available for the real-time extensions
Xenomai [2] and RTAI [3], is also an option for the OSADL I/O framework.
A RTDM port over -rt is in work and will be available soon. This would
permit to use RTDM drivers for both, Xenomai and Linux with -rt and we
would furthermore benefit from already existing, fully real-time capable
RTDM drivers like RTnet, RTserial and RT-Socket-CAN.

We realized, that some people are awaiting eagerly the availability of
EtherCAT for real-time Linux and we believe, that a RTDM based I/O
framework could provide an intermediate solution in short time and with
little funding. Please note, that there is already a port of EtherCAT
[4] over RTnet almost ready. Making the Linux network stack real-time
capable (and even more based on a generic user space driver interface?)
requires substantial development resources and will not be available soon.

Wolfgang.

[1]
http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/branches/v2.1.x/pdf/RTDM-and-Applications.pdf
[2} http://www.xenomai.org