[ag-automation] neuer Mitleser

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at web.de
Tue Apr 11 11:41:22 CEST 2006

Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 11:46 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> The issues are all well known to anybody who cares.  Some  have  been
>> addressed  (for  example, the clock tick is now configurable, and the
>> default is no longer 1000 Hz),  etc..  But  other  issues  (like  the
>> impact  of  code  size,  or  optimization for big server systems) are
>> still present.
>
> One side note on code size. I agree when comparing vanilla 2.4 and 2.6.
>
> If it comes to realtime the argument is bogus as Xenomai adds roughly
> 400k+ binary code size just to run a POSIX RT-application.

linux-2.6.16.1-xeno-svn - linux-2.6.16.1-rt14	267k (2709k - 2442k)
libpthread_rt					33k
						----
						300k

i586, all debugging off, RTDM on (our typical .config, available on
request), assuming that the glibc's RT-patch will not change its size
significantly. I cannot comment on 2.4.

Nothing is for free, and this is a known price of dual-kernel
approaches: more overall, but less time-critical code.

Jan