[ag-automation] OSADL Latest Stable

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Fri Oct 12 01:09:01 CEST 2012

Robert,

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:12:26PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > First of all, you are well aware of the background of this issue by
> > virtue of being a member of OSADL and even a member of the OSADL
> > supervisory board!
>
> The decision to make certain content members-only (which I personally
> find wrong, but of course other oppinions are perfectly valid) was not
> communicated to the public, as far as I know.
>
> Now the website has the "members only" label, and as we are making
> public use of that information for the Debian-RT kernel, I think it is
> legitime to get a public statement from the OSADL officials if the
> declaration which kernel is "latest stable" is public or confidential.

Any entity including OSADL has the right to discuontinue a free
service without notice. There is no obligation to publish a reason for
such a decision. Of course you can ask for a statement, but again,
there is no obligation to answer.

The fact, that the access to this information is currently restricted
_IS_ already the answer to your question.

Your argumentation, that you have been able in the past to access this
information freely and create a debian package based on that
information does not entitle you at all to demand a public statement.

If you think that not publishing a statement is wrong, then raise this
at the organization level and not in a public technical forum.

Thanks,

	Thomas