[ag-automation] OSADL Latest Stable

Raphael Hertzog raphael at netcube.ch
Thu Oct 11 15:35:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

Le jeudi 11 octobre 2012, Robert Schwebel a écrit :
> The decision to make certain content members-only (which I personally
> find wrong, but of course other oppinions are perfectly valid) was not
> communicated to the public, as far as I know.

At least I discovered this issue with your mail. I have been working for
a small company that is not member of OSADL and I have been using the
"Latest stable" as the base kernel version to use in their embedded
product.

While we do not contribute to OSADL, we did hire Thomas once to fix up
some issues that we had with the RT kernel.

I am somewhat saddened to see this valuable information being hidden but I
can understand the logic.

> Now the website has the "members only" label, and as we are making
> public use of that information for the Debian-RT kernel, I think it is

Are you speaking of the kernel uploaded to Debian unstable?

If so, I have a hard time understanding how you can track the OSADL Latest
stable when the Debian kernel team always uploads the latest Linux kernel
quite quickly.

And AFAIK there's no guarantee that OSADL will pick a latest stable kernel
in the kernel version that will be selected for Debian Stable (right now
it's 3.2 for wheezy).

In any case, I am very appreciative of your efforts to package the -rt
patchset for Debian.

> legitime to get a public statement from the OSADL officials if the
> declaration which kernel is "latest stable" is public or confidential.

I'm not sure how a public statement would help if you're aware of the
internal decision.

However, if I were you, I would seek the permission to make use of this
knowledge of OSADL Latest Stable in the selection of what to package for
Debian. You could either not mention that it matches OSADL's latest stable
or you could find some generic label ("OSADL approved") to still credit
OSADL a bit.

Cheres,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Writer/Consultant ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/