[ag-automation] [OSADL help] Automatic shutdown after patching PREEMPT-RT to Kernel 3.0.32

Bojie Sun sun.bojie at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 22:13:29 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm new in OSADL and have used the PREEMPT-RT patch to realize some real-time features for my own tests. The kernel I use is 3.0.32 and the patch rt52.

I've configured the kernel carefully according to the instructions and notes on the website of OSADL and got really good results in testing its performance like latency.

However, the biggest problem for me is that the system will directly shutdown after running for a while (maybe less than 30 min). I was wondering whether it was caused by the hardware overheating protection. Because I've disabled almost all the power management services (like APM and ACPI) in kernel and for ACPI I only let itsself enabled when all the sub options disabled(like fan, cpu, etc) according to avoid extra latencies.

When I start this new kernel, the fan on my laptop seems working really silently and maybe it leads to overheating of the CPUs on my laptop. Thus the computer would go down immediately (really a sudden), without any software information.

Does anyone also have this problem? Or some suggestions for this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Bojie Sun