[ag-automation] Rt-test tool

Carsten Emde C.Emde at osadl.org
Sat Apr 28 11:20:04 CEST 2012

Pavan,

> I have a requirement where on  ARM processor running Linux 2.6.33 kernel with real-time patches, I need to test various kernel functionalities, I want to use rt-tests tool for that, My quire is
> whether is it possible to add instrumentation by using  rt-test to enable testing of proprietary code. Please help me in in this.
I am not sure whether this is a technical or a legal question. In case
it is a legal question, you may also wish to discuss this issue with the
legal department of your company.

Generally, the GPLv2 does not prevent you from doing anything with the
Linux kernel as long as you are not distributing it. You may add
instrumentation, do all sorts of tests etc. You are also not obliged to
communicate the test results (although we would be glad, if you did).
When passing the kernel on, however, the GPLv2 must not only be used for
the original code but also for the code you added (copyleft). As such,
the information and disclosure obligations of the license must be
followed. The same applies to the rt-tests programs.

Is this what you wanted to know?

	-Carsten.