[ag-automation] rbf file system

Carsten Emde C.Emde at osadl.org
Sat May 14 15:41:41 CEST 2011

Steve,

> I must be missing something.
>
> System is ---- Mandrake 10 (original kernel is 2.6.3-7)
> The modules failed to build in this kernel ver.
>
> New Kernel is ----- Linux 2.6.18 / Linux 2.6.24.7
> RBF ver. -------RBF file system V0.63  / RBF file system V0.66
> Floppy is post 1991 82077. This mounts and works well on dos/ext2 floppies.
> There was no errors of the RBF modules during the build.
> reboot .. uname -a to ensure proper kernel
> log in as super user
> "modprobe rbf" then "lsmod" shows rbf module loaded
> "mount -t rbf  /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" Gives an error of "wrong file system type/bad super block/
> too many mounted file systems"
> The actual rbf file system is version 2.4 from the os9 operating system.
> The error happens in either kernel ver with their RBF filesytem ver.
> This floppy does work in the OS9 machine
> Any help to what I am doing wrong would be much appreciated .
In a first step, you may try to mount the RBF device with the "verbose"
option. If this doesn't provide any more insight, remove all
non-sharable content from the floppy (or, even better, format a fresh
one), dump its content to a file, compress it and send it to me in a
private email. I will then try to mount the file as a loopback device to
find out why it can't be mounted.

Two other things that I remember from the old days when I used to work
with OS-9 are:
1. The format may be so old that the "Cruz" cookie was not yet
available. Try the "nomagic" mount option to work around this problem.
2. The floppy format may not be OS-9 but OS-9000 which is, as far a I
remember, not compatible.

Hope this helps,
Carsten.