[ag-automation] What's the recommended interface to x86-IO-space

Claus Gindhart claus.gindhart at kontron.com
Tue Jan 20 13:59:21 CET 2009

Our Kontron HW provides a number of HW functionalities (LEDs, Watchdog, Board
configuration and status registers) in a proprietary FPGA.

The interface to these registers are x86 IO-instructions (inb, outb), and
there is also an Interrupt line (for Watchdog)

Currently, we support this multi-function-FPGA by a proprietary Watchdog
driver, which contains a lot of proprietary ioctl()'s.
Not nice, i know, but functional, and also other companies do it in similar
manner.

But we want to keep in track with the current coding conventions; for this
reason i ask, how you would recommend us to implement such a proprietary
interface ?

UIO ?
currently, this doesnt support IO-mapped devices, only memory-mapped !

ioperm() or iopl() to gain access to IO's from user space ?
Would be the most pragmatic approach, but how would i handle the interrupt
then ?

Staying with our multi-purpose driver ?
Works well, and also for OSADL-certification it is - as far as i understand
this - allowed to have Kernel drivers, which are not upstream-capable.

Or building a bundle of single-purpose drivers, one for LEDs, one for
Watchdog, and so on ?
Would work, but seems to be too overloaded for this simple functionality.

What would you recommend ?

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

Claus Gindhart
SW R&D
Kontron Modular Computers
phone :++49 (0)8341-803-374