[ag-automation] OSADL FDDI remarks

Peter Soetens peter.soetens at fmtc.be
Wed Apr 30 17:22:53 CEST 2008

Dear list,

We're looking for a small C library which allows to communicate different
kinds of 'data' over any kind of bus (CAN, Ethernet,...) from device A to
device B and the other way round. We're happy with 'hardcoding' the link from
A to B in the lowest layers, so no XML-configuration required yet. Instead of
reinventing the wheel, we're taking a look at the FDDI library.

It looks like FDDI development stopped at the point where it got
interesting :-). It can 'discover' and 'command' devices, but not exchange
data (process variables). There are two use cases in the tests directory
which define the API for the to-be-written LDI.

 * Is there any implementation/beta code of the LDI interface yet ?
 * Could you comment on the 'readyness' of the LDI API in the use cases,
meaning, is it ripe/complete/final ?
 * Also, is there by any chance uncommited code/documentation/examples ? We're
basically reverse engineering the code to understand what's happening (which
is ok given the small amount, but still...)
 * What's the relation with FAPIA, which is written in C++ ?

I thank Robert in advance for his answers :-)
Peter
--
Peter Soetens -- FMTC -- <http://www.fmtc.be>