[ag-automation] Problem reading RBF filesystem on SCSI disk

Carsten Emde Carsten.Emde at osadl.org
Fri Mar 30 01:29:22 CEST 2007

Piotr,

I tried again to find a 256-Byte/sector OS-9 harddisk, and I looked into
every corner - I couldn't find one. But I found a 20-year old
512-Byte/sector OS-9 formatted harddisk with a logical sector size of
256 Bytes. Initially, the motor didn't start, but then, after several
start attempts and some funny noises, it worked:

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: MAXTOR   Model: XT-8000S         Rev: B2
   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 01 CCS

I then typed
# mount /dev/sda /mnt/os-9
and the disk was mounted without any problem. I could access every file
on the disk. So, I can confirm that the rbf file system for Linux works
with SCSI hard disks as well, at least if the medium is hard-formatted
with 512 Bytes/sector.

My conclusion: The problem you are observing is most probably related to
the fact that your disk is hard-formatted with the nowadays unusual
sector size of 256 Bytes. If I only had one of these good old Fujitsu
disks, I could certainly fix the problem very quickly.

	cbe