[ag-automation] Re: technical meeting

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Mon Feb 20 18:03:56 CET 2006

As this is a technical mailing list, switching to English might be a
good idea.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 03:00:01PM +0100, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> Ich verschiebe die Diskussion mal auf die ag-automation Mailingliste.
> Wer sich dort noch nicht subscribed hat, möge dies tun.

Sorry for the bounces, I didn't recognize that it is <lists>.osadl.org.

> Hier ist die Liste der im Technologiepapier aufgeführten Themen, ohne
> Anspruch auf Vollständigkeit. Wir können jederzeit ergänzen und
> erweitern:

This is our preferred order for technical work at Pengutronix:

1. OSADL Unified Input Output Framework

   Doing industrial I/O in an standardized way is somehting which is
   necessary for about all kind of embedded projects. This includes:

	- analog/digital I/O, directly on board (bus coupled or gpio)
	- via some "embedded" bus like i2c, spi
	- remote I/Os via some industrial fieldbus
	- remote I/O via generic ethernet based protocols (e.g. remote
	  process image synchronisation via some kind of middleware)

   We have done some initial work in this area with our OpenIO
   framework, but there are surely much more requirements coming from
   the PLC and fieldbus folks, which is something we didn't take into
   account.

   This probably includes...

   	- OSADL Driver Guideline
	- OSADL CAN Driver Specification
	- OSADL Onboard I/O Specification
	- OSADL Profibus Specification

   Especially the fieldbus frameworks might be topics of their own. We
   have participated in the development of a socket based CAN framework,
   but there are several others out there which require urgent activity,
   especially the Ethernet based ones.

2. OSADL Certification Programs

   This is our natural interest, being the candidate for the OSADL
   testlab. Heterogenous test automation is a very interesting field
   these days.

3. OSADL Realtime Specification
   OSADL Tread and Process Specification
   OSADL Timed Execution Specification

   I suppose these belong together, under the Realtime-Preempt
   umbrealla.

4. OSADL Board Support Package Specification

   This is something which can probably be "just hacked together". It is
   realtively clear how a best practise BSP has to look like today -
   let's just follow the kernel guidlines and write that down as an
   OSADL standard.

Robert
--
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9