[ag-automation] neuer Mitleser

Benedikt Spranger b.spranger at linutronix.de
Mon Apr 24 07:00:00 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 00:38 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Hi Jan,
I heavily disagree with your following table:
> Threat sources and potential impact:
>
> 			Single Domain		Separate Domains
>
> memory-sucking apps	services are delayed	(separate pools to
> or NRT-drivers		or fail which depend 	confine impact)
> 			on availability
>
> lock-ups in buggy	high risk of loosing	RT/NRT interaction
> NRT-drivers, including	RT properties		can be affected, RT
> IRQ handlers					threads continue
>
> buggy drivers that	high risk of crash	high risk of crash
> overwrite kernel
> memory
>
> malicious non-root	risk of misusing	(not affected as long
> apps			shared resources	as application remains
> 			(e.g. timers, memory,	non-root)
> 			locked code paths)
>
> malicious root apps	unlimited damage	unlimited damage
> or drivers

All your assumptions are related to a non-hardware protected
Pseudodomain Model. Think about the mainframe. These guys using Seperate
Domain Models (hardware protected). As far as I knew it is impossible
there to affect other domains. Also think about virtualization concepts
like Pacifica et al. In short, maybe near midrange these concepts are
widely spreaded. Then we have the chance of hardware protected domains.
But this domain concept is totaly orthogonal to preempt-rt.
As your example:
you can implement a little (only a few hundred lines of code) "don´t
loose load"-watchdog. It runs in a different hardware protected domain.
So you can easyly use preempt-rt :-)

Bene