[ag-automation] neuer Mitleser

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 10 10:35:27 CEST 2006

In message <20060410073005.GW2542 at pengutronix.de> Robert Schwebel wrote:

> > Aus Sicht des Xenomai-Projektes ist zudem abzuwarten, auf welchen
> > Wegen die RT-Änderungen ihren Gang in den Kernel nehmen und wie
> > robust sie sich gegenüber für Dual-Kernel typischerweise orthogonale
> > Änderungen am Mainline erweisen. Eine zu frühe Portierung würde die
> > Maintenance-Situation für Xenomai nur verschlechtern, da Ressourcen
> > bekanntlich begrenzt sind. Und für Kernel 2.4 bietet sich zudem keine
> > Alternative.
>
> 2.4 is obsolete.

Repeating a wrong statement again and again does not make it true.

Yes, 2.6 is the current development kernel, and new  work  should  be
done  in  this  environmwent  if  possible.  But 2.6 has some serious
problems: it's big and  slow  (especially  on  low-end  systems)  and
anything  but  stable. It's a moving target. 2.4 is the stable kernel
tree at the moment.

I see several situations where using 2.4  is  a  better  choice  than
using 2.6:

* You have a low-end system - say a MPC850 processor with 50 MHz  CPU
  clock  and  tiny [2 kB] I and D caches. And you have to squeeze the
  last bit of performance out of  it.  Here  "performance"  may  mean
  non-RT or RT performance as well.

* You have a running project based on a 2.4 kernel and just  need  to
  add new features.

etc.

2.4 is not obsolete. It is a kernel tree in maintenance mode.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
An Ada exception is when a routine gets in trouble and says
'Beam me up, Scotty'.